How to Clean Smoke Damaged Electronics
iPhones, iPads, Nintendo Switch, or xBox, you never want to see a fire ruin your highly valued electronics. Smoke and soot can cause just as much damage as the heat of the fire.
Smoke can damage electronics in multiple ways:
- Corrosion: Soot is acidic in nature and can corrode key components of your electronic device. This ultimately shortens the product’s lifespan.
- Insulation: Soot leaves behind a black film that can insulate parts and cause overheating. Overheating can cause some products to release toxic fumes and lead to electronic failure.
- Magnetization: Believe it or not, smoke is magnetically charged and can cause electronics to short circuit.
Here are 3 Easy Steps to Clean Your Electronics:
Step 1: Disconnect all electronics or remove the power source such as batteries. Do not try to turn them on before they have been cleaned.
Step 2: Use a soft rag to wipe down the exterior and remove any visible soot left behind.
Step 3: Use an air compressor to blow out any outlets, ports, or air vents.
Smoke and soot can cause internal damage to your electronics and decrease your ability to save them. If serious damage has occurred, do not hesitate to call SERVPRO of East Erie and Warren Counties.
We are fire restoration experts and can help you save your belongings.
Call us today! (814) 636 6760
Connect with us on Facebook